Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Basics

I have decided instead of trying pull the world apart, let me make something new for a change. I have been toying with this idea of trying to put together what I have learnt from all my experimentations with iPhone all these 7-8 months.

I would like this blog to be a repository for whatever I have learnt and in the process create a forum for people who would like to learn about this great technology. So without wasting any further words, lets start the show.

The Cost Factor


To start coding for iPhone, you need to fulfill a few pre-requisites. And like the saying "There are no free lunches on this Earth", this costs and costs a lot! To be able to start working on iPhone Apps development, you need to invest at least a cool Rs 80K in India.
  1. You will need a Mac. Though there are few ways of having the so-called jailbroken versions of the x-code and the iPhone SDK run on your PC but I would advice you to go for a Mac, its comfy. its cool and its gr8!! You can check out more at :
    http://www.apple.com/in/mac/. The cheapest one comes for around Rs. 37K.
  2. You will need to join the Apple Developer Program (its free for learning, you need to have a $99 liscence to start testing your apps on the phone though). Check out more at : http://developer.apple.com/iphone/
  3. Finally you will need a iPhone. iPhone is the coolest thing that happened to the mobiles and you just need to have one just for the sake of having it. Anyways FYI, it costs around Rs. 30K (for the 8Gb variant). If that is too much for you then you can check out the cool EMI plan by Airtel : http://www.airtel.in/iphone3g/iphoneemi.html
You have to download the iPhone SDK for iPhone OS 2.2.1 from the ADC site and install it on ur Mac. After you are all set ping me, we will start with the tutorials :).

1 comment:

  1. Hey even I bought a MAC recently and I am writing to write an Iphone app :) SDK looks simple but I am still wondering what kind of app to write and how to test it.. which phase of the development are you in right now?

    ReplyDelete